What is required to register IP addresses for databases and products purchased through MCLS?
Please submit all new IP addresses, all changes, additions, and deletions.
- If you have only one computer in your library that you want to have access to a product, report a single IP:
- If you have more computers that you want to have access to a product (for example, your entire library or campus), report all of the relevant IPs, such as:
- a range of individual IPs - a group of computers; xxx.xxx.xxx.#-#
- Example: 123.456.789.12-17
- a Class C range - up to 256 computers at a site; xxx.xxx.xxx.*
- a Class B range - up to 65,536 computers at a site; xxx.xxx.*
To register or to report any addition or change in your library's IP address, use the IP Reporting Form.
You will be asked to verify the following about your IP address:
- direct Internet connection
- static IP (does not change)
We can only register static, external, dedicated IP addresses.
- dedicated IP (not used by any other location)
If you're unsure of your IP address, point your browser to http://www.whatismyip.com and write down the IP address that is presented.
- Static IP addresses stay the same every time you log on. IP changes should happen infrequently (for example, only when work is done on your network).
- External (or routable) IPs are the IP addresses presented to the outside world regardless of how workstations/printers/etc. are addressed within your network. An external IP address is the one assigned by your Internet Service Provider while an internal IP is assigned to each machine by your local network. If providing an IP range for authorization, please indicate if the range includes workstations outside the library.
Or you may point your browser to http://www.whatismyip.com from several workstations and if they all return the same IP address, that is the external/routable IP. (In this environment, workstations in your local network are assigned individual nonroutable, internal IP addresses.)
The following IP address ranges are ALWAYS internal IPs and should not be submitted for authorization:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
*** NOTE: We are not able to accept IPs in CIDR notation.