In June 2002, OCLC Online Computer Library Center Inc. and the Library of Congress jointly launched QuestionPoint, a virtual reference desk collaborative service. QuestionPoint offers libraries and library groups a powerful, yet inexpensive and easy-to-use resource to provide and manage their virtual reference services. One of the unique features of QuestionPoint is that it also provides libraries with access to a global network of reference librarians collaborating to provide the best possible reference service to library users.
QuestionPoint enables libraries to:
Terms and Conditions
- Respond to, track, and manage reference questions from patrons via the Web, with the service hosted at OCLC
- Add simple links from any page on your library's Web site to locally-branded and customizable, Web-based question submission forms and live chat for your patrons
- Join together with other libraries to form regional or subject-based reference groups
- Build a local knowledge base of question and answer pairs unique to your library or reference group
- Refer unanswered questions to other libraries in your group as needed, based on availability and expertise
- Refer questions that may be beyond the scope of your library or group's collections to subject matter experts in libraries around the world through a global Web-based automated network
- Search and contribute to a global knowledge base of previously asked and answered reference questions
For more information about QuestionPoint, please contact OCLC
or visit QuestionPoint
on the Web.
Research Help Now: Michigan Virtual Reference Collaborative
All OCLC products and services mentioned are trademarks of OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
Join RHN and serve your patrons virtually! Research Help Now is a virtual reference service provided by 16 participating institutions of higher education including:
Eastern Michigan University
How Do I Join?
Jackson Community College
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
Kellogg Community College
Lansing Community College
Macomb Community College
Michigan State University
Mott Community College
Muskegon Community College
Northwestern Michigan College
Oakland Community College
St. Clair County Community College
Washtenaw Community College
Wayne County Community College
If you are interested in joining the collaborative, we would be happy to arrange a demonstration of QuestionPoint. Once you have seen a demo and have expressed an interest in joining, the Advisory Group (comprised of representatives of each member library) will be asked to approve your membership. Next, the steps will be to arrange for training your local managers and staff, installing the software, setting up a schedule, and publicizing your new service. Contact Diana Mitchell
to get started! OCLC Question Point terms and conditions