Return to the Michigan Libraries Wiki Library Policies page
Library volunteers need good direction. They need to do useful things (no busy work) and to feel valued and appreciated.
Sample library volunteer duties in Michigan libraries:
1. Shelving and shelf reading
2. Pulling materials on hold from the shelves
3. Helping with children's craft programs (preparing materials in advance and helping with the craft)
4. Stamping and putting labels on new paperbacks -- adult and juvenile
5. Stamping and labeling new materials (books, DVD's, etc.) in processing
6. Stamping, boxing and bundling withdrawn materials for monthly book sale or for discard
7. Reviewing condition of books on tape for damage and/or repair
8. Assisting with the inventory of the collection by scanning barcodes with the portable scanner
Sample Volunteer Policies
Achieving Success Through Volunteers (A binder available through your local MSU Extension office)
Check with your library's insurance carrier and/or legal counsel.
Conduct Background Checks